Monday, January 20, 2014

Message Monday: January 20th

Every week I post a new quote on the board for students. This last week it went along with a video a student sent me to show during our homeroom time. The video focuses on bullying and how name calling can hurt even when people say brush it off. The video is spoken word poetry by Shane Koyczan from tothisdayproject.com 



The quote or message I decided to share with my students was this:


I cried throughout the whole video as well as after when talking about former students who came to our school because they were bullied, didn't fit in, or were dubbed the losers or nerds because they were good at school and technology. 

It kills me to think that other people's words and perceptions have the ability to change how we feel about ourselves. Similar to what Shane says in the video, but if you can't see your beauty and worth you need to get a better mirror! 


No comments:

Post a Comment